Mark Wahlberg receives high school diploma at age 42

At the age of 42, Mark Wahlberg has now earned his high school diploma. Walhberg received his diploma back in June, after he originally dropped out in the ninth grade.

"My circumstances were not unlike millions of other teens today, who live in tough working-class neighborhoods surrounded by drugs, violence and crime, and who struggle to stay on the right path without positive influences," the actor explained in a Huffington Post op-ed.

The actor told People that his reason for getting his diploma was based upon his kids. "I didn't want the kids saying, 'You didn't do it, so why do I need it?' They are all wanting to do things in their future that require an education."

Wahlberg dropped out in ninth grade after he was charged with attempted murder. The actor secretly hired a tutor during the filming of 2 Guns with Denzel Washington. "Denzel was always asking me what I was doing but I didn't want to share that information with him," Wahlberg said. "Nobody knew, because I felt like I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch." Wahlberg said he'd like to continue on with his education by possibly going to USC to study film.

The actor can be currently seen in 2 Guns, which opened Aug. 2. He's also in the upcoming Lone Survivor out in limited release Dec. 27.

Comments